The longer I teach...

After teaching in the public schools for 21 years and more than that with youth in Scouting and church, I think I'm finally beginning to understand what good teaching really is and isn't. My goal here is to be brief and share what I've learned.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Immediate Practice

Years ago after my first year of teaching I was asked to attend a workshop on managing classroom behavior. They told us about "proximity praise" where the teacher thanks those sitting next to the one with poor behavior for doing well, hoping the one misbehaving will change (it works quite well, by the way). Then they ed it. Finally, they broke us up into small groups and we each took a turn being teacher and the misbehaving child. Everyone of us struggled with not trying to first tell the misbehaving child to stop. Often when those being teacher last have seen the mistake so many times they more easily do it correctly. Not in this case. That experience firmly taught me the value of practicing soon after instruction what was taught and ed and the value of having all practice the new skill.

In a nutshell: Make sure whatever taught, the students need to practice right away, not just as homework or later on a test.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Great advice! I've also heard that one should practice right away and then again at intervals.

LeaAnne said...

Thanks for the great advice! That will be remembered and implemented. ;)