The longer I teach...

After teaching in the public schools for 21 years and more than that with youth in Scouting and church, I think I'm finally beginning to understand what good teaching really is and isn't. My goal here is to be brief and share what I've learned.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"Show Me" Training

Another pivotal moment in my view of what makes good teaching came when, in 2006, Charles W. Dahlquist came to our area to do some training for leaders of young men. At one point he gave instruction on shadow leadership. Instead of just telling us, he showed us. He had an pretend to be a boy, stood him up in front of everyone and then asked him where his shadow was (it was directly behind him). He then had another man get up to pretend to be the "boy's" Scoutmaster and stood him where they "boy's" shadows was. He then asked us who was in the limelight and showed us how the Scoutmaster could whisper things to help the one in the light be successful. In teaching parlance this is called ing or demonstrating, and this was extremely effective. I have not been able to think about shadow leadership without thinking of that demonstration. I saw that good teaching included showing, not just telling. I remembered again that people will be far more likely to do what they have seen rather than told.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Wouldn't it be great if every leader/teacher/mentor could see this demonstration? It sounds like a powerful experience.