The longer I teach...

After teaching in the public schools for 21 years and more than that with youth in Scouting and church, I think I'm finally beginning to understand what good teaching really is and isn't. My goal here is to be brief and share what I've learned.

Friday, June 6, 2008

Learn by Doing

The founder of Boy Scouting said, "Boys learn by doing." I find it amazing that much teaching seems to be done using the same Aristotle and Pythagoras used: "Sit down, be quiet, and listen to the teacher." The problem is that children don't do any of those three things well.

I vividly recall teaching a difficult 7th grade math class. Most had never done well in math (and many didn't do well in other classes). When teaching (talking to the students), it was very hard to keep their attention and keep them behaving well. However, once I shut up and had them do the assignment in class, behavior problems almost disappeared and most were on task. The students wanted to be "doing" something--almost anything but listen to me. My best teaching was while I cruised around the room helping and letting them assist each other.

I have learned to now teach an initial short lesson and have them then apply it. For example, in computer class, I teach how to format a certain way and then spend double or triple the time having them practice doing it and showing me they can. I repeat the process and show them the next next thing they need to learn. In science, I briefly teach (talk about) a concept and their upcoming lab, then have them do the lab that reinforces it. After they clean up, I spend only 5 minutes reviewing the concept. In writing, I teach by demonstrating a writing technique and then have them write. After they write, they share and discuss (in a guided way as a large group or a small one) what they wrote during their practice.

This is exactly like when an teaches children (his or her own or others) proper behavior, ing what they should say works best. The children get it faster and they do it faster. The other part of this teaching is to immediately have the individual repeat what was taught. For young children, an example would be, "What do we say?" "Please," would be the answer. "Say, 'May I please...'" Then the child repeats it. The instruction is very short and the practice is as long or longer.

In a nutshell: If the students do it, they learn it better. Good teachers assist students as a coach, rather than lecture.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

This is great. You are right on. I know even as an adult, I dislike being talked at. Let me try it! You are good at this.